2010 Commercial Photography Self Promo

March 8th, 2010

ctpromo_11

A year in the making, I was excited to ship my official introduction to nearly 300 of the top creative folks in the photo industry last month. After a successful 2008 and beginning of 2009, I realized my commercial work came mostly through word of mouth and that I had made no marketing efforts. I knew in order to take my business to the next level, I needed to start marketing myself on a national level and more importantly, I had only one chance to make an awesome first impression.

“As an art buyer, I get a lot of little promotional pieces. I am spoiled. BUT, yours was so well put together and well done that I stopped everything I was doing and went to your website. NOT to my surprise your work is just as thoughtful, innovative and touching as your promotional piece. I officially have a work crush on you. Please come and see us so we can put you to work ASAP.:)”

This promo would be the first time the agencies and art buyers would hear about me so I wanted to fill it with items that told something about who I was. The challenge was how to fill a box with multiple items and not make it feel like a junk box. I worked closely with Suzanne Sease and Rob Jefferson to find items that were relevant to the audience of art buyers and creative directors and compiled my mailing list with Suzanne using Agency AccessI needed every piece of this promo to have a wow-factor so I worked exclusively with the most talented Robb Major to design everything from the screen printing of the shipping box to the design on the matchboxes.  To tie it all together, I included my “to-do list” which is below.

"To-Do" List and Promo Pieces

“Cool promotional box! So much so in fact that I feel compelled to use you for our next photo shoot. I have a client in ————.  Are you available and interested? Wow, this just goes to prove the power of good advertising.”

Casey Templeton Photography Promo

“This is the most amazing promo I’ve ever received in my 12 years of art buying! I truly hope to work with you soon and I hope this gets you a ton of work! Its genius!”

“I just received your magic lunchbox and I gotta say it’s quite the spread. The San Cristobal just made my drive to NY tomorrow night that much better. If you’re ever in ——– for a job let me know and I’ll set you up with a portfolio review with my art producer colleagues so they can get to know you. Thank you and stay in touch.”

It took two snowy days and a dozen awesome friends to put all of these boxes together and shipped in early February. The response has been outstanding and I have received an amazing amount of free T-shirt cards back full of comments request for portfolios as well as phone calls. The big task now is follow through….. and thinking about a 2011 promo!

Want a retro (empty, sorry) lunch tin of your own? Leave a convincing comment below and I may just feel compelled to mail you one.

118 Responses

1. [...] mais alto, sem dúvida, será necessário, entretanto sua agenda ficará muito mais ocupada! Clique aqui se desejar ver mais detalhes desse super [...]

2. It is all about reaching out and connecting to others you may not get the entire lot but it is certain that some will come back with a positive message.

3. Fer Castellanos says:

Me gusta mucho tu trabajo te felicitio ademas de que tu idea de las cajas es muy buena un saludo desde Mexico, a por cierto tambien soy fotografo

4. cristian says:

really nice promo, congratulations.

did you get any results? how many clientes did you get after the promotion?

5. Mac says:

If you still have any of the tins left over, i’d love to get one.

I thought that was a slick design and promo for you and i’m glad it paid off. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

6. Gabo Delgado says:

It’s amazing to see how real creativity and passion works just the way you wanted im sure u are welcome to work wherever u sent the magic box! As a designer looking for inspiration the video i saw made my day! Greetings from Bolivia!

7. I am feeling this! Please send a t-shirt my way so I can wear it out and about in London town! Super creative!

8. [...] irresistible promoción del fotógrafo Casey Templeton vía XatakaFoto:  impresionante lo que este hombre ha montado para promocionar su trabajo, a mi me mandan ese paquete de bienvenida y aunque no tenga trabajo para él, le llamaría para [...]

9. super teas says:

You have a nice promo, i’m pretty sure that it gets a lot of message and comments. Well negative or positive you have to continue it. You have an outstanding photography.

10. Hey Casey!
    That promo is truly inspirational if only for it’s creativity to us young stud photogs that are trying to break into the business. I do also admire the risk in investing such capital into a promotional product.
    I look forward to following your work and progress as a source to catalyze my own creative energies!

(Got any tins left? It’ll would be the perfect “Inspiration Box” for my collected souvenirs of eclectic creativity…)

Thanks and keep up the great work!

11. KAREEM MOODY says:

CASEY, MY MAN, YOU’RE CREATIVE MIND IS ABSOLUTELY BONKERZ!!!!! YOU GOT ME SO HYPED RIGHT NOW!!! JUST TO SEE HOW FAR CREATIVITY CAN TAKE YOU IS TRULY INSPIRING, I MEAN THAT!!! THATS GOOD SH#T YOU GOT THERE….KEEP MOTIVATING OTHERS AND THANX FOR THE PUSH…PEACE

12. Jaye says:

A great piece, but I’m not really surprised. :) Always fun to see what you come up with when you put your head together with other creatives. (Tell Robb great job.) I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Jaye B.

13. [...] more about his promos and see more photos on Casey’s blog. Share this:ShareShareEmailDiggStumbleUponReddit March 9th, 2010 | Posted in Commercial, [...]

14. Mavo Castro says:

Muito boa a idéia, achei lindo esse kit!!! Qual o cliente não se apaixonaria por isso? Impossível!!!
    Parabés pela idéia.

Sucessssssoooooooo!! :D

15. Amanda says:

Awesome, this is so inspiring, I’m racing through my mind of what I could put into a similar mailing to reach out to new potential clients in my area. Did you put any/how many in the box?

16. alex says:

never would i thought of something like this as a marketing promo….i’m trully speachless…the ideea is so fresh and cool..it;s hard not to get involved as a bussiness owner when you see interest like yours …kudos…

17. Gordy says:

I’ve never seen anything like that before – what an original and incredibly creative solution to marketing, as someone who is just starting out on the photographic road you ahve really inspired me to get out there and turn a few heads – cheers :) Gordy

18. Anita says:

I feel truly inspired by this! I am just starting out but have always thought that this kind of reaching out to people (some call it marketing:) is genius. You have got me thinking of ways I can reach out to potential clients. GENIUS!!!!